Thursday, July 5, 2012

FAQ

I have a couple questions that I get asked over and over again.  They are "How do you get your icing so smooth?" and "Does your icing melt?"
Hello Kitty
The answer to both of these questions have to do with my icing.  I use Royal Icing for my cookies.  I like using it for a variety of reasons, but the main one is that the icing will not melt!  That is a huge thing is South Ga! Once dry, I can stack my cookies, package them up, and even mail them if I choose. 
Hello Kitty
The icing comes out of my mixer very thick and I am able to thin it down to different consistencies to do different things with it.  I can use it straight out of the mixer to make ribbon roses and drop flowers, thin it down to pipe, and thin it down even more to a honey consistency to make flood icing...which brings me to my next question.  The way that you get icing smooth on a cookie is to use what cookie decorators call flood icing (or flow icing).  The consistency can be almost water like all the way up to a honey or syrup consistency despending on how the decorator works.  I personally like a thicker flood consistency so that I don't have to stress too much about my icing falling off the edge of my cookie.  The thinner the consistency, the more the icing has a mind of it's own!
Hello Kitty
I am planning to do my own tutorials on how to outline and fill cookies and to show you my favorite consistencies, but in the meantime there are TONS of great resources out there for you to see! These girls taught me everything I know!

3 comments:

  1. OK, Jenn....I think I'm in! Blessings, Donna B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay I somehow stumbled upon your blog and I'm so glad I did! I have always wondered about how people who's cookies are perfectly well PERFECT get their frosting so smooth!!! THanks for the tips! loving these cookies btw...my little girl would die over them!

    Come on over and follow along my blog all about color! I think you'd enjoy it (but than again I might be a little bias?! ha)

    xoxo
    Aarean

    colorissue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenn -- I'm so glad you've started a blog! I can't wait to see what you do with it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on my blog! Your comments make my day!